Sunday, January 5, 2014

A Hair(y) Triviality

I love having short hair. 

It's convenient when it needs to be and doable and can still manage to look somewhat tolerable, even with a million different bobby pins and metal hair clips sticking out from various places. You don't even have to do anything but brush your hair three times, one on each side of your head.

HOWEVER.

When a pixie cut grows out to the point where the little wisps of hair against the nape of your neck become noticeably longer than the rest of your hair...a problem is presented. 

My first instinct is to do a little trimming myself. I mean, I've had some experience - I did cut my hair once in the sixth grade, and to everyone's pleasant surprise, it turned out to be immaculately straight. By sheer good fortune, of course, because everyone knows I can't cut straight edges, but that still doesn't discount the fact that straight is straight and that is that.

My second attempt occurred a year later. And regardless of the fact that I did the same exact foolproof procedure the second go around, it ended up looking like the kind of haircut you'd give a Barbie if you didn't know how to use scissors. Even from a fair enough distance, you could tell one clump was at least 2 inches longer than the other. 

That also happened to be the year I got glasses, which actually explains quite a bit of my childhood that would have remained a mystery had I not cleared my vision.

But anyway, I've already decided to grow my hair out, and after 8 months above my shoulders and 3 months of assessing the slow progress, the first signs of visibly longer length have emerged. And I already want to chop it all off. 

But I won't. 

I'm sitting on my hands right now in a figurative manner and will not touch my hair. At all. For at least another 3 months. Maybe the occasional trim. But that is all. And then we'll see how far this goes on. Until I'm ready to hold scissors again. With the same amount of trust I used to.

No comments :

Post a Comment