Monday, March 4, 2013

Personal Goals

Like anyone with an overwhelming problem, I have decided now is the time to help myself. It's time to come to a solution, regardless of how scary and intimidating the process will be. Let's share a meal for two (spaghetti with meatballs, Lady and the Tramp style) and draw out our blueprints, shall we? Let's call everyone we can and let them know what we're going to do, so you can't back out. Let's go ice skating the next opportunity we get, and let the air blow back our scarves and hair. Let's live for once.

(End of cheesy intro. Now on to the whiny stuff.)

I'm not prepared to take risks yet. I mean, obviously my perception of myself and the world around me is highly questionable, but I can definitely count on all ten fingers the number of things I am not ready to do anytime soon. This includes skydiving, bungee-jumping, cliff-diving, riding a roller coaster, swimming with sharks, shoplifting...(I'm not serious about the last one. Just clarifying that, if it wasn't already apparent!) This must make me out to be a very sheltered person, but I'm willing to admit that it's going to take time for me to step out of my comfort zone.

The things I am referring to, in terms of changing myself, can (and do) include: getting a haircut, changing my work habits, being more open to people, giving presentations, volunteering, getting a job, taking more classes, etc. The whole reinventing process occurs in stages. Which irritates the impatient part of me, but that's totally fine. By sticking with my goals, it's inevitable that some surprising outcomes await me in the end, and my curiosity has gotten the better of me.

I'm tempted to ask an uninterested public the types of questions one would bring up in easygoing conversations (stuff like, "What are your goals?"), but am a million percent sure no one will answer. Yet, at least. It's okay though, I'm going to ask it anyway. Maybe I'll be reading this ten years into the future, and it'll evoke weirdly satisfying memories over the kind of reflective person I used to be and still am. Ha ha.

What are your goals? How do you hope to achieve them? What are some things you'd like to change about yourself?

No comments :

Post a Comment